Friday, September 10, 2010

Procrastination

It has always been a part of my being.  Since childhood I have always been want to leave for tomorrow any task that should have been done today.  I was always the child who read his book and wrote his book report within a week, often with my mother taking my dictation in order to get it completed on time, more often to get it completed days late.  In college I was "The King of the All-Nighter", unable, or unwilling to study ahead.  As I put off the last of the packing that is required of me before my wife returns to Kansas City for the last time I find myself thinking of the things that I will miss about the town of my birth, and what I will replace them with in my new home of Des Moines.

The first pang came as I began the packing, even the thought of packing.  Moving has never been something I enjoyed, but has always been something I did a lot, at least in my adult life.  The first thing that I knew I would miss is this home that my wife and I have made together.  The first place I have lived in for two full years in my adult life, the first home my wife and I shared together.  It has only been two years, but there are a lot of shared memories here, which are hard to put into boxes.

Second are my family, both born and found, that I will leave here in Kansas City, all of which I hope will stay connected, either through this blog or through my addiction known as FaceBook or even the random visits that I will make to Kansas City or even better unexpected visits to Des Moines (see I told you there would be more run-on sentences).  I have many great friends here in Kansas City and I will miss them all in their own way.  I may not see my family as much as I like, but it seems that for the most part they all know when I need to see them and make it happen.

Mostly I think about food and drink, this is not a moving issue, but just how my mind works.  There are so many places in Kansas City that I will miss, so many great spots that I just don't know how I will replace in my new home.  I'm sure there are places that I will miss that I haven't even thought about yet, and some that I swear now that I will miss and I won't think about again, but having spent 23 year living in Kansas City there are a lot of memories associated with a lot of these places that are going to be hard to let go of.

I suppose there will be more talk later of the specific places that I will miss, but for now these words have been carthotic enough to give me the strength to finish the packing that I must do.  To all of the people, places and things that I will miss about Kansas City, thank you for being you, thank you for being a part of my life, I hope you are all still here when I return.

The Server

No comments:

Post a Comment