Saturday, October 2, 2010

So How's Iowa?

You don't know how many times I've heard this question since I arrived here two weeks ago.  The only answer I have is "Iowa is."  Even I don't really know what that means, but maybe putting it in words can help me understand it.

I know very little about Iowa.  I grew up less than two hours away and yet I had never done anything but drive through the state until three years ago, when I began visiting my future in-laws and other family members.  I moved here to spend time with my wife's family, to help take care of people, to go to family member's sporting events, to take part in birthday parties, and to help make holidays taste delicious.

None of these things, so far, have told me how Iowa is.  In fact I know no more about Iowa now than i did two weeks ago.  I know how my In-laws are, I know more about my family, I have a job, and a pretty decent job at that, but I have barely figured out anything about Iowa.  I know a pretty decent brewpub (if I talked about it, that would be shameless self-promotion as it is also the place I work), I know of a pretty cool cigar shop, not as good as Fidel's in Kansas City, but still pretty good.  I know of a market that rivals McGonigle's in Kansas City, the meat counter isn't as good, but they seem to know what they are doing and they have a bakery on site and a great little restaurant where they cook and use all the great stuff they sell there.

Basically Iowa isn't Missouri, Des Moines isn't Kansas City, and it's gonna take some time for me to get used to both of them.  I miss my home, I miss my family, I miss my friends.  I miss shit being where it's supposed to be, I miss familiarity, I miss my home.  Iowa is and that is all I have to say about that.

The Server

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I used to feel the same way. People from home would ask "How's Kansas?" And I'd be like, "Fine, I guess." I knew nothing and no one...and now, approaching 20 years years later I get the question, "How are things back east?" when I come home from visiting Ohio. (Which we Ohioans don't really see as being all that east, but...okay.)

    What people really want to do is know how you're doing in Iowa...but people are stingy with words. And for some reason this question seems "clever".

    I hope everything is going wellfor you and you get acclimated easily. It's rough...and I still struggle with homesickness. But I wouldn't trade making the move for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose I knew before you wrote this that that is what they meant, but I am not one to answer questions left unasked. Words unused are words wasted, perhaps the reverse is true as well as I talk way to much for my own good and many fall upon deaf ears.

    Living in Kansas City all my life I would have considered Ohio "back East" however now that I am 3 hours North North East I can look at a map and see that Ohio is not that far away (look out Osbourne if you won't come paint the street with me I may very well come drink all of your homebrew).

    Everything is well, or as well as it can be considering I live with my father-in-law in a strange city and I miss my parents and my hometown. However, I wouldn't trade any of it, for anything!

    The Server

    ReplyDelete